Careers in International Commercial Arbitration with Young ICCA and DRC
We are pleased to invite you to attend a Young ICCA webinar organised in collaboration with the Dispute Resolution Club of the Istanbul University Faculty of Law (DRC) entitled “Careers in International Commercial Arbitration with Young ICCA”.
The webinar is scheduled to take place on Wednesday, April 19, 2023 between 13:00 and 14:00 CEST.
The objective of the webinar is to provide young practitioners and students with practical tips on how to build their careers in the dispute resolution world, with particular focus on international arbitration.
The panel is composed of:
- Elizabeth Chan, Senior Registered Foreign Lawyer at Allen Overy, Hong Kong
- Ridhi Kabra, Associate at Three Crowns, London
- Mehmet Karlı, Partner at Kabine Law Office, Istanbul
- Greg Lourie, Counsel at the ICC International Court of Arbitration, Paris
- Moderated by Matheus Bastos Oliveira, Associate at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Washington (Young ICCA Representative for North America)
Meet the Speakers
Elizabeth (Lizzie) Chan (陳曉彤)
Lizzie Chan is a Senior Registered Foreign Lawyer (England and Wales) in Allen & Overy’s Asia-Pacific Arbitration team, based in Hong Kong. She specialises in international commercial arbitration and investment treaty arbitration. She is ranked as a Future Leader of Who’s Who Legal - Arbitration (2022-2023) and the Legal 500 Arbitration Private Practice Powerlist: UK 2022. Lizzie has worked in four jurisdictions (New Zealand, New York, London and Hong Kong) and is triple-qualified (New Zealand, New York, and England and Wales).
Ridhi Kabra is an associate in the London office of Three Crowns LLP. Her experience includes advising clients in investment treaty and commercial arbitrations relating to taxation, oil and gas, infrastructure, and joint venture disputes. She has acted in several arbitrations under the ICSID, ICC, LCIA and UNCITRAL Rules. Ridhi holds a PhD from the University of Cambridge, and received her undergraduate degree in law from the National Academy of Legal Studies and Research (NALSAR), Hyderabad, India. Prior to joining Three Crowns, Ridhi was a lecturer at the University of Bristol. She has also held visiting positions at King’s College London (2017) and the Max Planck Institute Luxembourg for International, European and Regulatory Procedural Law (2018).
Mehmet Karlı is a partner at Kabine Law Office. Dr. Karlı focuses his practice on disputes and complex international transactions related to various sectors including construction, energy, telecommunications, and banking and finance. He has represented and advised a wide range of clients, including sovereigns, multinational corporations, and high net-worth individuals before local courts, ICSID, ICC, ISTAC, UNCITRAL, SCIA, LCIA arbitral tribunals and ECHR, as well as in their complex transactions. Dr. Karlı’s practice also covers the representation of the clients in the prosecution process of white-collar crimes both in Turkey and in foreign jurisdictions, and corporate and personal wealth restructurings.
Greg Lourie is a German qualified lawyer and Counsel at the Secretariat of the ICC International Court of Arbitration. He heads the ICA 3 case management team responsible for the administration of approximately 200 arbitrations, primarily in connection with Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux, Scandinavia and the Nordics. Prior to joining the ICC, Greg worked as an attorney with major international law firms in Paris, Frankfurt and Washington DC. He has represented clients in complex international commercial, investor-state, and state-state arbitrations across a broad range of industries, with a particular focus on Western and Eastern Europe, and the Middle East. Greg has also significant experience in advising governments on issues of public international law, including sovereign and diplomatic immunities and human rights. Greg holds a PhD (Dr. iur, summa cum laude) in public international law from the University of Frankfurt am Main. He frequently publishes on arbitration-related issues and lectures international arbitration and public international law at several universities, including the Europa-Institute of Saarland University, the International Training Centre of the ILO, and the Ecole de Formation du Barreau de Paris (EFB).”
Matheus Bastos Oliveira (Moderator)
Matheus Bastos Oliveira is an associate at the international arbitration group of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer US LLP, based in Washington-DC. Matheus holds LLMs from the University of Virginia (US) and Fundação Getúlio Vargas (BR), and an LLB from the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (BR). Prior to joining Freshfields, Matheus was an associate at the dispute resolution team of Demarest Advogados (BR). He is qualified to practice law in Brazil and New York.
- Please do not record the webinar. The webinar will be recorded and made publicly available on the Young ICCA website, which in some circumstances may allow you to be identified, such as if you submit a written question and the organiser refers to you by name. It is possible that this may result in the processing of your personal data within the meaning of data protection legislation (such as the EU General Data Protection Regulation). You can avoid this processing by asking that your question be posed anonymously (for questions submitted before the webinar) or by joining the webinar using a pseudonym (for questions submitted via the Q&A or chat function). Any processing that does take place will be necessary for the legitimate interests of ICCA in replicating the workshop-style setting by allowing participants to be identified unless they do not want to be.
- During the webinar, participants may be able to see the usernames of other participants. Although the organisers expect that participants will want to use their actual name and affiliation as a username (e.g. Lucy Burns, ICCA Bureau), this is not mandatory and you can join using a pseudonym if you wish.
Interested in receiving event updates?
Sign up for Young ICCA Membership to receive email updates on all Young ICCA events and workshops.